- Sketchbook, spiral bound, 11 x 14" (paper with a little tooth is nice) (PA85)
- Drawing pad 11 x 14" Strathmore Series 400; Medium surface (or "regular"—not smooth) (P100-11)
- Graphite drawing pencils: HB, 2B, 4B (S142)(bring others if you have them: 2H, 6B, etc. brand really doesn't matter, Staedtler Mars Lumograph are nice)
- Woodless graphite pencils: HB, 2B, (great woodless brands: Pentalic Graphite or Koh-I-Noor Progresso) (S865)
- Pencil sharpener
- Pentel click eraser (soft white, retractable) (E06, E19)
- Staedtler Mars plastic white rectangular eraser (E13)
- X-acto knife (S417, S130)
- Ruler about 12" in length. (Any ruler will do, but my favorite all-purpose rulers are those 2" wide C-Thru clear plastic rulers. (S798) They have red marks every 1/8", a centering measure, and some have a bevel on one edge for inking)
- Sharpie permanent marker (regular tip is perfect).
- Desk lamp and extension cord (extremely helpful portable swing arm or goose neck – prefer incandescent or halogen bulb -- not fluorescent or "Ott", classroom electrical outlets will determine use)
Optional: Please bring the following items only if you already have them. We may not have time to use these in class.
- Colored pencils: artist quality – Prismacolor is a good brand (set of 12 or more) (S471, S472, S772)
- Nib & holder: Speedball "C" or "B" (smaller size i.e., C- 3, C-4 or C-5, OR whatever are your favorite nibs) (H65, H69, N09, N16)
- Ink: Higgins Eternal, walnut or your favorite ink (I08,I53, S449)
- Small water container & paper towels or pen rag (S784)
- Pigma Micron marker (any size 01, 02, etc.) (M17)
Kristen Doty: Drawing for Calligraphers (and those who think they can't draw)
B3452. Sketch Book for the Artist by Sarah Simblet. 2009. 264pp. 8.75"x10.75". Paperback $21.95
" This book has some instruction, but it's more about beautiful reproductions -- of the author's and many other artists' work in a wide variety of styles and subject matter -- that intrigue and inspire." -Kristen
B3030. The Drawing Book: Materials and Techniques for Today's Artist by Richard McDaniel Paper $19.95
An all purpose tips and techniques book. (out of print)
B3031. Keys to Drawing With Imagination by Bert Dodson Hardcover spiral $29.95. A fun, new book. (nice hardback with wire for lay flat pages)
B2859. The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards Hardcover 29.95. Sale $19.95 B2860. How to Draw What You See by Rudy De Reyna Paper $19.95 B3342. Perspective Made Easy by Ernest R. Norling. 1999 (1939). 224pp. 5-3/8"x8.5". Paper $9.95 Perspective is easy; yet, surprisingly few artists know the simple rules that make it so. Now they can remedy that situation with a step-by-step book that clarifies the simple rules of perspective. Using over 250 simple line drawings, the author leads you through every important concept. "A great little book" - Kristen Doty.
Calligraphy books I always recommend to students, but not applicable to this drawing workshop.
B039. The Speedball Textbook by Joanne Fink & Judy Kastin Paper $9.99.
B2811. The Art & Craft of Hand Lettering by Annie Cicale Paper $19.95.
B2769. Foundations of Calligraphy by Sheila Waters Hardcover spiral $35.00
When Kristin teaches watercolor classes she recommends:
B2598. The Watercolorist's Essential Notebook by Gordon MacKenzie. Hardcover $24.99. Sale $12.50 Taking Risks with Watercolour by Shirley Travena.
Exploring Color by Nita Leland. Out of print.
Watercolor Basics - Light by Judy Morris. Out-of-print.
Watercolor Wisdom: Lessons from a Lifetime of Painting and Teaching by Jo Taylor. Out of print.
See two issues of Bound & Lettered (BL3.4 and BL4.3, $8.50 each) for articles by Kristen on watercolor.
|© John Neal Bookseller · 1833 Spring Garden Street, First Floor · Greensboro · NC 27403 · USA|