To register, please visit: https://christopherhaanes.com/civilite-workshop/
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
With Christopher Haanes
Civilité is the popularised name of a script and a font which Robert Granjon (1,2) made famous in France during the 1500s. It has its origins in French calligraphy preceding it.
The Civilité is a true hybrid script, with traits from Gothic cursive hands as well as italic. It is characterised by sweeping calligraphic strokes and extensions, special characters creating variety on the page, and many ligatures.
Live class. We are using Zoom, and Slack (a free and easy interface) is used for communication and corrections between classes. The videos will be available for 2 months after last session.
Thursdays, August 4th–Sept. 1st
Some or all of the following choice of papers:
- Arches Text Wove (PS01)
- Rives BFK (PS91)
- Khadi Indian Handmade papers come in several different textures (PS103)
- Daler layout pads in A3 size are good for practicing sometimes. (Not Available in US)
- All sizes of Brause nibs are recommended [Mitchell nibs not suitable]. (N02)
- Pencil [2H] (PL38)
- Pointed brush, for loading nib with ink (BR43)
- Colored pencils (PL05)
- Chinese Stick Ink (IS38)
- Ink Stone (IS19)
- Higgins Eternal is a cheaper substitute, but the Chinese stick ink is highly recommended. (I08)
- Colours are optional, but please use Winsor & Newton gouache. (WNG1, WNG2, WNG3, WNG4)
- T Square (S753)
- Compass (S1061)
- Scalpel blade [no 21 for scraping]
- Adjustable drawing board
- Sandarac powder (S123)
- Ruler (S271)
- Eraser (E13)
- Old cloth
- Water jar (S1005)