This class is part of Legacies III.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Please add item LEG2021 to your shopping cart for supply orders for Legacies III classes.
All Skill Levels Welcome
This workshop will be an in-depth study of the Formal Italic Alphabet through demonstration and revealing exercises. We will study each of the components of the alphabet – what makes it look the way it does – and use this information to determine how your personal Italic can be improved. We will begin with pen angle, structure, branching and shape.
You will learn how to fix new, old and “yucky” pens so they become “good” pens. You will learn how to make gouache and watercolor flow beautifully through your pen. Become your own teacher and be the “Boss” of your tools.
- Hunt-Bienfang Calligraphic Practice Pad #206 (P91)
- **I will be sending a copy of a page from this pad, which can be copied onto paper that will not bleed, if you’d prefer not to purchase the pad.
- Speedball C-2 pen or comparable (Brause 2.0 or 2.5, or Tape 2.5 or Mitchell 1.5, if you prefer). My preference is Speedball (N09) (N02) (N04)
- Pelikan 4001 ink (any color) or Bister ink, or walnut ink (I04) (I157) (I145)
- Watercolor palette (prefer Prang), but other sets OK, or tube watercolor and palette (S609)
- Water pot, mixing brushes, paper towels (S1005) (BR43) (S817)
- Few sheets of tracing paper (P112)
- X-acto knife (S417)
- Glue stick (S391)
- C-thru ruler at least 12” long or any ruler (S871) (S798)
- Fine-line, Light-colored marking pen (i.e. Micron) (M17) (M134) or colored pencil (PL29) in contrasting color to your ink
- Tools to rule – your choice – C-thru ruler (S871) or (ONLY IF you have It) – Ames Lettering Guide (S91) and T-square (S753)
- A piece or two of better papers of your choice (Canson Ingres, Arches Text Wove, Arches hot press WC, Niddegen, Frankfurt, etc) – about10” x 12” pieces (PS00) (PS05) (PS01) (PS42) (PS93)