For more information, please click HERE.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Italic Variations with Chiara Riva
Hosted by Society of Scribes
May 7, 14, 21, 28 and June 4, 2022 (Five Saturdays)
12:00–2:00 PM EDT (New York time)
$130 for Society of Scribes members / $160 for non-members
The classes will be held in English via Zoom.
Live sessions will be recorded for online viewing until July 9, 2022.
Take your italic to the next level and spend five weeks with rising Italian calligraphy star Chiara Riva, as she reveals the versatility of the script and explores its expressive potential!
Italic is one of the most versatile styles. It lends itself to many variations that give the letters a more contemporary look with different characteristics. We will work on different aspects of this versatile script to tap into its full potential, starting from the classic forms: from the writing angle to the slope, from manipulation of the nib to pressure-and-release strategies, from the variation of the proportions of the letters to employing alternative letterforms.
In the week between each live session, students will have time to practice, ask questions on the class forum, and submit assignments for instructor critique.
This class is not for beginners.
For more information and to register: https://www.societyofscribes.org/italic-variations-with-chiara-riva
- Broad-edged nibs: Choose a, b, or c I mainly use Tape or Brause.
a) Speedball sizes C2, C3, C5 (N09); or …
b) Hiro Tape sizes 1, 2, 3 (N01); or …
c) Brause 3mm, 2mm, and either Tape 1 or Speedball C5 (For smaller sizes, I prefer more flexible nibs.) (N02) (N01) (N09)
- Paper: A pad of good quality non-bleeding paper in A3 or 11×17 size, around 90 gsm, with some texture—such as Canson Croquis, Fabriano Skizzi, Daler-Rowney Arteco Sketching Esquisse, or similar. The paper needs to be translucent enough to show the guidelines. (P20) (P70) (P108)
- Ink: Higgins Eternal, Pelikan 4001, or walnut ink. (I08) (I04) (S449) (S450)
- Two pen holders (H46, etc.) Click here for more holders.
- 1 cheap brush to fill your pen (BR43)
- 2 binder clips
- Pencil (PL38)
- Eraser (E13)
- Straight edge or T-square (S753)
- OPTIONAL: Good quality gouache (WNG1) (SG27), or Chinese stick ink and ink stone (IS38) (IS19)
- OPTIONAL: Some sheets of good paper (PS01) (PS22-WHI)