To register for this class, click here.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Elmo van Slingerland : Drawn to Letters: a Dutch Approach, hosted by Portland Society for Calligraphy
In this newly created workshop, lettering artist and graphic designer Elmo van Slingerland will instruct students to design, sketch and draw letters, experiencing the gray area between writing and drawing while concentrating on building up form. Various techniques and materials will be used, ranging from pencil, broad-edged nib, pointed pen to the brush. Letterforms will be based on roman minuscules, capital and cursive styles.
Saturdays, September 11 - October 9, 2021, 9:00-11:30am (PST)
Cost: $130 PSC Members/$160 non-members
Live online class using the Zoom platform
Opening Registration Date: Monday, August 9, 2021.
- Pencil (HB) or mechanical pencil (HB, 0.3 or 0.5 mm) (PL21)
- Black fineliners in different sizes (e.g., 05, 0.1, 0.8 mm) (M17)
- Black permanent marker (Pilot, Sharpie or similar)
- Layout paper pad (±A3 or 11x17 or 14x17), Daler Rowney 45 g/m2, or similar (P09-50)
- Sheets of translucent tracing paper (±A3 or 11x17 or 14x17) (P112)
- A sheet of carbon paper (S612)
- Several sheets of good quality paper (e.g., watercolor paper) (PS00) (PS110) (PS48) (PS104)
- Soft eraser (E29)
- Ruler (S270) (S271)
- Pointed brush, preferable no. 3 Kolinsky red sable, or otherwise a good alternative (synthetic aquarel brush) (BR38) (BR30) (BR26)
- Some broad-edged dip pens in assorted sizes (±1 mm and ±3mm at least), a pointed pen and straight holders (N04) (N02) (N09) (N113) (N120) (H113) (H138)
- Watercolors (and, if available, gouache as well) (WNWC1) (WNWC2) (WNWC3) (WNWC4)
- Black gouache (WNG1)
- Martin’s Bleedproof white gouache (I38)
- Cheap or old, rough bristle brush (hog hair) ±1 or 2 cm wide (BR43)
- Container in which to mix paint (S679)
- Water container (S1005)
- Rag or tissues