For more information, click here.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Drawn to Letters: A Dutch Approach
Elmo van Slingerland
Live (Also recorded for later viewing)
11/23, 11/30, 12/7, 12/14 2022
07:00 PM - 08:30 PM (CET)
This workshop is intended for enthusiasts who already have some experience with calligraphy/letter writing and would like to learn more about letter drawing. We are going to draw letters, but the calligraphy pen will never be far away. It is always there—physically, or in the back of your mind! Namely, our trusted calligraphy pen is always a good basis to fall back on.
We will discover what is possible with drawing letters through several interesting exercises: we will sketch, analyze these sketches, and further develop them. We use different materials, such as (calligraphy) pens, pencil, brush, gouache, and/or watercolor and we look at different applications. Do you make words on a sheet of watercolor paper, or do you make a drawing for reproduction?
Classes will be held in English via Zoom. Live sessions will be recorded for online viewing up to two months after the last day of the workshop.
In the week between each live session, students will have time to practice, ask questions on the class forum, and submit assignments online. Homework feedback will be provided in supplemental video recordings each week.
Level: Intermediate to advanced.
For more information or to register: https://www.elmovanslingerland.com/online---shop/#!/Online-workshop-4-2022-Drawn-to-Letters-a-Dutch-approach/p/450495228/category=129038121
• Mechanical pencils: 2H and HB [PL21]
• A3 / 11"" x 17"" layout paper [P09-50, P32]
• Some sheets of tracing paper (preferably A3 / 11"" x 17"") [P43, P112]
• (Kneaded) eraser [E09]
• Ruler [S270, S271]
• Broad-edged nibs in different sizes (use a brand of your preference, but also a Speedball C2 and C3) [N09, N04, N02]
• A pointed nib [N113, N118, N77, N93]
• Pen holder [H46]
• Black and white gouache (and some other colors of your preference) [WNG1]
• Bleed-proof white gouache [I38]
• Watercolor (your choice of colors) [S1000, WNWC1]
• Pointed brushes: #2 (preferably Kolinsky sable hair or a good, cheaper alternative) [BR38, BR26]
• (Old) rough bristle brush [BR43]
• Mixing palette [S679]
• Water jar [S1005]
• Black fine tip waterproof marker 0.25 mm [M17]
• Larger black waterproof marker (±1.5 mm) [M3003, M3005]
• Black Tombow Fudenosuke brush pen (hard or soft-tip) [M126, M145]
Optional materials for making a completed piece: A few sheets of watercolor paper (your preference) [PS42, PA42, PS110 PA110, PS47]