To register, please click HERE.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
The Roman Minuscule — Foundational and Beyond
with Elmo van Slingerland
May 11, 18, 25, and June 1, 2022
7:00 – 8:30 PM (CET) Online via Zoom
Classes will be held in English via Zoom. Live sessions will be recorded for online viewing up to two months after the last day of the workshop.
Edward Johnston based his Foundational hand as a starting point for learning calligraphy on a tenth-century Carolingian minuscule. These letterforms would later evolve during the Renaissance into humanistic writing, which sought to relate the minuscules to the more sophisticated forms of the monumental Roman capitals. We will learn to use sensibilities with the pen to show how you can turn Foundational into a modern, elegant script. Attention will be given to the shape and line quality, refinement, and pen use so that you will learn to write these letters with elegance and great form.
In the week between each live session, students will have time to practice, ask questions on the class forum, and submit assignments online for instructor critique.
Level: Intermediate to advanced.
- Broad-edged pens: ±3mm (think Speedball C1, C2) and some other smaller and larger sizes. You can use a brand you have experience with, but I prefer Speedball for its flexibility. For smaller pen sizes (±1mm) I often use Mitchell nibs in addition to Speedball. (N09) (N04) (N02)
- Paper: Layout paper, preferably A3 size or 11 x 17 inches, such as Daler & Rowney, Borden & Riley #37, Canson Pro Layout Marker, or a similar brand, as long as the paper doesn’t bleed. (P09-50) (P32)
- Ink: Water-based black ink (my preference is Higgins Eternal or Pelikan 4001), as long as it doesn’t bleed or spread. (I08) (I04)
- A (mechanical) pencil, HB. (PL21) (PL30)
- Ruler (S270)
Optional materials for making a completed piece:
- A sheet or two of good paper of your preference, such as Ingres or watercolor paper (minimal size A3 / 11 x 17 inches) (PS22-WHI)
- Watercolor (I153) (S808) (S609) or gouache (SG27) (WNG1) (WNG2) (WNG3) (WNG4)
- A simple palette (S679)
- A brush to mix paint (BR43)
- Water jar (S1005)