To register, please click HERE.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class
Essence & Flow
With Gemma Black
Presented by Bow Valley Calligraphy Guild
Have you ever wondered why your texts lack the “x-factor” or why your work just doesn’t “sing”? Try this radical new approach to your work where you will be introduced to a new structure of writing. We will not be re-inventing the wheel here but we will be re-aligning the spokes of our current usage. Using medieval and renaissance scribes’ text block as scaffolds or lining systems will allow your work to come alive, to sing and to breathe off the page. We will apply this old & new way to twenty-first century contemporary work compiling a series of examples to use as future models for our calligraphic texts. Both minuscule and majuscule texts blocks will be studied, and you will be delighted with your new results. Your thinking will be informed by past thinking!
Dates and details:
A three-day live online workshop
Monday, April 25, 2022
Wednesday, April 27, 2022
Friday, April 29, 2022
TIMES: Late afternoon (morning in Australia) – 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm Mountain Time with a 30-minute break (estimated from 4:30 pm to 5:00 pm).
COST: $125 CAD plus Eventbrite fees (estimated at $6.50 CAD).
Maximum 99 participants.
There will be a private Facebook page for homework and feedback.
All sessions will be recorded and available to participants for 30 days after the workshop.
This workshop is suitable for all levels of experience. Must be familiar with using a dip pen.
Register with Eventbrite
- A full set of broad-edged nibs in sizes 3/4 mm – 5 mm in width. Preferred brands: Brause (N02-S9), Speedball (N09-S6) or William Mitchell (N04-S10A).
- Optional: ruling pen (N30 or N33)
- Optional: pointed nibs (N113 or N154)
- Layout, marker or practice paper pad (P32 or P09-50)
- 2 full sheets of fine-art paper (Arches, BFK Rives etc.), cut in quarters 180 gsm – 250 gsm (140 – 180 lbs) (PS47 or PS107)
- 4 – 5 sheets of tracing paper (P43 or P44) (P112)
- Black stick ink (IS04) and/or walnut ink only to start with (S449)
- Ruler (S798 or S425)
- Eraser (E09 or E22)
- Pencil (PL21)
- Bone folder (S308)
- Scoring tool (S281)
- Calligraphy creature comforts: dividers (only if you have a pair); compass (only if you have a pair) (S1061)