Contact email@example.com to sign up and receive registration form. Max of 35 students.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Class title: The Power of Two
Description: This one-day class consists of two powerful exercises designed to build your compositional skills, provide an understanding of design principles and give you a foundation to build both literal and abstract artworks. You will be encouraged to work more spontaneously and to let the art speak to you as you work. The emphasis is on play and experimentation and you will hopefully find yourself creating work that will surprise and delight you.
Date: September 18, 9am-4pm MST
Class is presented live online and will be recorded. Recording will be available for one month after class. If you can’t attend live, you can purchase recording.
Cost: $75 for non-members of Letter Arts Guild of Red Deer
- 80# Strathmore 400 Drawing Pad, 11x14” (won’t need a whole pad, just nice to have on hand) or comparable paper (P100)
- Black calligraphy ink, such as Higgins Eternal (or comparable); Sumi ink (I like Yasutomo or Moon Palace) (I08) (I70)
- Walnut ink (I145)
- A few color inks: I recommend Dr. Martin’s Tech Drawing inks (various colors, non-acrylic) or Dr. Martin’s Bombay waterproof India inks. Any color inks preferably with eye dropper top will also do, even if acrylic inks. (I109) (I13)
- Color pencils (Prismacolor are best) and/or dry pastels (a few colors) (PL05) (S981)
- Some favorite gouaches (WNG1) (WNG2) (WNG3) (WNG4)
- Speedball C2 through C5 nib pens; favorite small Mitchell or Brause nibs, or comparable (N02) (N04)
- Automatic pens (1/2” to 1”) or comparable; could also use flat brush of similar size (N27)
- Favorite pointed brushes (for applying watercolor and gouache) and flat brushes (for wash and broad strokes) (BR28) (BR26) (BR24) (BR66)
- Optional (meaning you will be able to get by just fine without them):
- White calligraphy ink (I like Dr. Martin’s Bleedproof White and Permanent White gouache) Others that work fine: Moon Palace White Sumi, Winsor & Newton White Calligraphy Ink (I38) (I60)
- A couple 11x14” sheets of Arches Text Wove or comparable (PS01)(PS00)
- A couple 11x14” sheets cold press watercolor paper (I like Arches 140 lb.) (PS41) (PS104)
- Stiff and flexible pointed pens (I like Nikko G) and other favorite pens (N113) (N118) (N120)
- Ruling pen, cola pen, other unusual writing tools (N155) (N22) (N211) (N148)
- Watercolor set (S609)