This class is part of Legacies III.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Please add item LEG2021 to your shopping cart for supply orders for Legacies III classes.
The Glittering Vine
All Skill Levels Welcome
Design • Drawing • Journaling
Gold leaf adds an opulent shimmer to your pointed pen flourished and pen drawn designs. In this class, we will demystify the process of gilding as we design these Glittering Vines. The border designs are rooted in Medieval Illuminated manuscripts but take on a more whimsical flair as we draw from a variety of influences. The vines themselves can transform into ribbons or acanthus leaves as you explore the underlying structures. These beautiful borders contain
pencil drawn elements, pen and ink offhand flourished florals, acanthus, and a few hidden delights to add a sense of wonder to your designs. Watercolour is suggested to bring these designs to life, but you may choose to use watercolour pencil or coloured pencil. This class is a delight to explore and will add a new dimension to your pointed pen flourishing skills. Relax and play as you design Glittering Vines.
- Graph paper (P21)
- Mechanical Pencil (PL21)
- Eraser (E13)
- Small Cork Backed Metal Ruler (S270)
- Ruling Pen (N22) (N211) or Pointed Pen with Zebra G nib in an inexpensive plastic straight holder (N118) (H104)
- Tracing Paper or Light Pad (we may not use these in class but can be handy for complex work) (P112) (S1013) (S939)
- 23K Gold Transfer leaf and Miniatum Ink (Students may choose to use gold watercolour or gouache as a substitute for real gold) (S189-5) (S983) (TG100) (HG644) (SG893-F)
- 2-3 pieces of 5”x7” 140 lb Hot Press watercolour paper (PA47-57)
- McCaffery Brown, McCaffery Black or Ziller Buffalo Brown Ink (I28) (I37)
- Straight Pen holder with a medium flexible nib such as Hunt 22 or Gillott 404 (N93) (N74)
- Size 0 Pointed Round Synthetic brush for applying gold size or Size 0 Taper Point Clay Shaper (BR26)
- Watercolour: Any colours you want. John Neal sells a dot card of my favourite Daniel Smith watercolours which are more than enough for this class. (S994)
- Small Pointed Round Watercolour Brushes: I use sizes 0, 1 and 2 (BR27)
- Any optional embellishment supplies you want to add to your work. I will be using a green and blue chalk pastel (S981), Sakura Gelly Roll Pen Clear Stardust (M96), Gold Watercolour (SG893-F), Shell Gold (S738) and Swarovski Crystals. If you are using 23K gold leaf, a small piece of silk or velvet can be used to burnish the gold.