For more information, please contact Karen Nordstrom Roberts: firstname.lastname@example.org
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Fantastic Flourishes with Holly Monroe
Presented by Calligraphy Guild of Pittsburgh
June 4-5, 2022
2-days - $140
To give our Italic a greater “presence” in our designs, we will study the construction of flourishes, breaking them into parts and then learn how to re-create them with pencil first, and then with various strokes of the broad edged pen. Where and when to use them will be discussed, as well as how to add unique embellishments to the flourish. You will be challenged with a project, flourishing in the round – a spiral or circular design incorporating your chosen words, with FANTASTIC FLOURISHES woven around its circumference using fine art tools and materials. Handouts, digital presentation.
For pricing, payment and availability, contact Karen Nordstrom Roberts: email@example.com
- Grid Paper and/or plain Borden & Riley Bond paper (P21) (P09-50)
- Tracing Paper (P43) (P112)
- Rolling ruler or 12" or 18" C-Thru Ruler– to put lines on paper (S730) (S871)
- Ink – Walnut ink (S450) or black (I70), plus any colors you prefer
- Gouache or watercolor (tube) – Ivory black, 3 color(s) of your choice. Suggestions: Ultramarine Blue, Sap Green, Winsor Violet, Rose Madder, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Yellow, Venetian Red, Burnt Sienna, etc. Use what you have! METALLIC gouache–gold, silver or bronze. (WNG-HC1) (WNG1) (WNG2) (WNG3) (WNG4)
- Palette with wells to mix your gouache or watercolor (S679) (S120-30)
- Double-ended wooden penholders (Qty: 1-5), minimum of 1 pen; I use 5 (H39).
- Mitchell Pens (sizes #0, 1, 1.5, 2, 5, 3, 3.5, 4, 5, 6); we will mainly use the three nibs in bold, but having all sizes is helpful. 4, 5, 6 will give you fine flourishes. (N04-S10B)
- Chiseled Calligraphy marker (optional), size 3.0 mm, 2.5mm, 2.0mm - great for practice. Zig Marker or other. Useful for beginners and for flourishing practice. Click here for JNB selection.
- Compass – the “math” kind you can put a pencil in and draw circles. Inexpensive.
- Drawing Pencil (I like HB lead); Favorite: GraphGear 0.5, 0.7 (PL21)
- Eraser – I use Mars Staedtler and a kneaded eraser. (E13) (E09)
- Saral Paper - to transfer flourishes to good paper. Graphite or white if you’re working with colored paper (S654); or portable light board (optional) (S1013) (S939)
- Paint rag or paper towels
- Water Container – to rinse your pens (S1005)
- Small Water Bottle – to drop water into gouache/watercolor to liquify (S1017)
- Artist tape – to tape paper in place (S412)
- Portable drawing board – or lap board (optional) (S690)
- Fine Art Paper – for finished project. 1 or 2 sheets. Bring what you have. Arches HP 90 or 140 if you want smooth paper (PS42) (PS47). I will bring small Twinrocker handmade circles, squares, rectangles and hearts for sale.
- Additional supplies in your box. Small brushes if you want to paint an image in your flourished circle. We can share if you forget something.
- Short quotations – words that inspire you for finished flourished roundel