For more information, please click HERE.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Capital Immersion | Brush & Pen Roman with John Stevens
Five Saturdays: April 23, 30 - May 7, 14, 21, 2022
Enrollment begins: March 26, 2022
Five 90-minute sessions (*Recorded on Zoom | Access 3 months). Cost $160.
In this class several valuable aspects of lettering are addressed:
1.) The design of the formal Roman letter
2.) The techniques of handling the broad-edge brush
3.) Design on the page
4.) Variations of capital forms
For more information and to register: https://john-stevens-capitals-uncial-ii.newzenler.com/courses/brush-roman-capitals
This is the most important!
Broad-Edged Brushes. Don’t just take some brush from the bottom of your tool box; the edge as to be true and as square as possible.
- W&N 995=1/2” or Raphael Kaerell 8796 #10 or #12 (BR01, BR24)
- Sign painters use Sho-card brush (Optional) Rekab #5 (BR12)
- Richeson Professional Flat Brush (BR69)
- Mack One-Stroke Lettering Brush (BR72)
- W&N Series 7 (#000, #00, #2) (BR28)
- Raphael Kolinski 8408 (BR47; out of stock)
- Water container and palette (S1005) (S679)
- A container of Nicker Poster Color (Black) (For brush Roman. If you are going to practice a lot, it is good to purchase 2 of these.) (S1022) Gouache will work as well, but the poster painter is closer to the consistency for paletting.
- Pelikan 4001 or Higgins Eternal (I04) (I08)
- Optional: Gouache (Black), Ink stick & stone (WNG1) (IS38) (IS19)
- Kraft paper (or butcher paper) for brush Roman (not too thin). Allows you to do a lot of practice without the fear of going through all of your paper. (PS109)
- Smoother paper for ink/pen. Bond paper is fine if it does not bleed, something like Canson Pro-Layout Marker Pad or Boris Layout Pad (Borden & Riley #37). (P20) (P32) (P09-50) (P108) For your practice or doing assignments, I would recommend its size roughly 11 x 14 inches (28 cm x 35 cm).
- 2B-HB (for drawing/writing) (PL38)
- 2H-4H (for ruling line) (PL38)
- Such as Pigma Micron Black #02, #01 or #005 (M17)
- Some as short as 2-3 words, but also a sentence or two and other texts that are longer.
- Hard Arkansas Stone (S115)
- 32x loupe or magnify glass (S1112)
- Polishing Paper: very fine (9 micron) sandpaper (S107)
- Gouache (a couple of colors) (WNG1) (WNG2) (WNG3) (WNG4)
- HP watercolor paper of your choice (Arches Text Wove, Zerkall, Rives BFK, MBM, Fabriano, W&N, etc.) (PS00, PS92, PS91, PS01, PS104)
Suggested (Usual Workshop Supplies)
- Palette to palette our brushes (I like glass, but porcelain or hard material will work) (S747). Alternatively, so do paper plates (styrol or plastic coated).
- A small brush for loading pens (BR43)
- Water container (S1005)
- Paper weights
- Knife (to cut paper) (S417)
- Glue stick (S391)
- Paper towels (S817)
- Note-taking stuff
- Straight edge for lines (S270)
- Crops (2 “L” crops) (You can cut from matt board.)
- Masking Tape (S412)
- Soap to clean brushes (S930, S987)