To register, click HERE. John Neal Books is not hosting this class. Alphabet Book (Six-week class) with Julie Wildman April 29; May 6, 13, 20, 27; June 3, 2022 10:30am–1pm CST $175 USD https://www.wildmandesigns.com/onlineclasses SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate to Advanced Students should have some basic knowledge of a few calligraphic hands. We will learn how to create a cohesive alphabet, using both traditional and unusual tools. For their book, students can decide whether to do a cohesive alphabet or an alphabet with a different style for each letter. Our final assignment will be to assemble our alphabets into a simple accordion-fold book. No gluing or sewing involved. Class size limited to 10 students. SUPPLY LIST CALLIGRAPHY SUPPLIES
- Favorite calligraphic tools (could include broad-edged and pointed nibs; ruling, parallel, and automatic pens; unusual tools like cola or broom bristle pens)
- 1 Black Sharpie marker (fine point)
- 2 fine point black markers like Pigma Microns in sizes 005 & 01 (M17)
- Small bottle of black sumi ink (I70)
- Small bottle of walnut ink (S449 or I145)
- 30 ml jar of Dr. Martin’s or Winsor & Newton Bleedproof White (I38) or small tube of white gouache (SG27) and cup to mix
- Watercolors, plus one metallic in either watercolor or gouache (WNWC1) (S741, S1000) (HG641, HG644, SG893-F)
- A few inexpensive flat, watercolor brushes to apply color (Brushes are optional. Simply Simmons is a good brand.)
- Favorite pointed brush (BR28) (only if you like to do pointed brush writing) OR an Aquash Waterbrush Pointed (medium 12mm tip) (FP93) OR a Pentel Color Brush in Black or another color (FP57)
- Lots of practice paper (Strathmore Series 400 drawing paper is good because it has some tooth to it. Don’t use really smooth paper.) (P100)
- Pencil (PL38), sharpener (PL13) and some erasers (kneaded (E09) and/or white (E30)
- Six-well palette (S679)
- Water container (for cleaning tools) (S1005)
- Roll of paper towels (S817)
- Some nice papers you have in your stash. These papers would be if you want to try your letters on paper other than that used for the pages of your book. Black or other colors would be nice. Suggestions: Arches Text Wove (PS01 or PS01-FS); Canson Mi-Teintes Black (PS61), German Ingres Black (PS22-BLK) or Arches Black Cover (PS90); watercolor paper cold press (rough) (PS41); Nideggen (PS93); marbled, colored, paste papers, etc.
- Pages: 2 sheets 22" x 30" Stonehenge White or Warm White, 250gsm (email Julie about this paper) You may use any white or off-white paper that is equivalent: 140# index or 100# cover. DO NOT USE a light text weight like Arches Text Wove.
- Covers: 1 sheet 20" x 26" Fabriano Tiziano, 160gsm (email Julie about this paper) You may use an equivalent: 108# text or 65# cover. This will be folded in an origami-style fold, so don’t use anything too thick. Your choice of color.
- Spine: Same paper as the cover.
- Boards: 2 pieces of 8.5" x 11" chipboard or mat board, no more than about 1/16" thickness (boards will be hidden)
- 3M #415 Double-sided Bookbinders Tape 1/4", or any kind of archival double-sided tape 1/4" wide
- Archival glue stick (if you don’t want to buy tape) (S391)
- Bone folder (S308)
- Metal ruler (S270, S271)
- Pencil (PL38)
- X-acto knife with a few #11 blades (S417, S130)
- Cutting surface (S504)
- Two pieces of chipboard or mat board approx. 5" W x 2" H
- One large binder clip (about 2" wide x 1" deep)