For more information, click here.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Calligraphy Number Variations
With Kestrel Montes
Hosted By Master Penman Harvest Crittenden
via Acorn Arts
Live online course with video replay
Sep 28 & Oct 1
5 hours total:
2 hours per session
+ 30 min optional Q&A
(videos available through Nov 1)
REGISTRATION OPENS SEP 4
This class is intended for students who already feel comfortable using a dip pen. I won't spend time on the basics of writing with a nib but I will address pointed pen skills that will help us with numbers. (Intro to Pointed Pen video course coming soon! Make sure you are on my email list.)
You are also welcome to use a small brush pen if that's your jam!
However, if you are familiar with brush pen lettering, that could be an option for you! The number forms and stroke directions are the same.
What we'll do:
- Pen control skills for getting in the number groove
- How to break down the components of number strokes to polish them up
- Numbers that combine well with Copperplate, Spencerian or Modern scripts
- Multiple variations of each digit 0-9 for aesthetic options and variety
- How and when to drop numbers below the baseline
- How to mix numbers and letters (we're looking at you, Canada & UK postal codes!!)
- A bit on Roman numerals, ordinal numbers and punctuation associated with numbers
For more information and to register: https://www.learncalligraphy.com/numbers
- Calligraphy quality paper (i.e. HP Premium 32, Strathmore 25% or 100%, John Neal Books practice paper (P20, P25), Rhodia (P53), Staples paper 73333)
- Your favorite pointed pen nib & holder (N113, N118, N93, N72) (H113, H114, H152, H133, H134, H62) or small-tipped brush pen (M97, M148)
- Ink (recommended: walnut, sumi, iron gall, or gouache) (I145, I70, I54, WNG1, SG27)
- Internet connection!
- A quiet space to focus