To register, click here.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
The Artist Book as a Bridge Between Drawing and Writing
From December 11th to January 15th
Starting from the drawing of a plant, we will see how the experiences of drawing and writing can inform each other.
Both drawings and writings will become abstract shapes and lines moving in the space according to rhythm and visual balances/imbalances.
Students will work in groups and exchange ideas to be used as legible text in each student's artist book.
The final artist book will be therefore a combination of abstract lines and shapes along with some legible text.
Students will be constantly guided by the teacher during the whole month's work.
€350 (payment via Paypal only)
The class is live, with 7 meetings over four weekends, each meeting is two hours long.
Students will be in contact with each other and with the teacher from December 11 to January 15 through Telegram.
Photos can be sent to the teacher for individual comments during the whole three weeks’ time.
There are no recordings, but students will receive short videos of specific demonstrations.
December 11/12, 18/19, 2021 and January 8/9/15, 2022
5pm to 7pm (Rome time zone)
- (P108) - A4 (210x297mm) drawing pad.
- (PS01) - 6 sheets of Arches Velin 20"x25", 120grams.
- (PS01) - extra sheets of Arches Velin 20"x25", 120grams - optional
- (P112) - Tracing paper 11"x14"
- (I70) - Black sumi ink - minimum 6oz.
- (WNWC2)(WNWC1) (WNWC3) (WNWC4) - Watercolors in tube
- (WNG1) (WNG2) (WNG3) (WNG4) 2 tubes of gouache 5ml of the same color of your choice
- (BR01) - One flat brush, any kind, about 12mm width.
- (BR38) Two pointed brushes, one n.7
- (S699) - Removable tape
- Wooden sticks or small branches (any found piece of branch)
- (S826) (S825) Thread (if you don’t have bookbinding thread, any thread can do, even kitchen twine)
- (S1005) Containers for ink, water and watercolor (I use jam jars)
- a rag or two
- (S417) bookbinding knife (or a knife with a smooth blade)
- Double tape
- smartphone for photos