For more information, please click HERE.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Over and Over with Mike Gold
Presented by Colleagues of Calligraphy and Moderated by Heather Martinez
Live Online Zoom class
Saturday & Sunday, April 23-24, 2022
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
CLASS DESCRIPTION: Nobel prize-winning scientist Linus Pauling famously said that the best way to generate great ideas is to generate lots of ideas. I would say the same thing about work. To that end, this class is designed to help you create lots of art, where you will compose the same text (or letter) over and over, but in many different ways. You will be helped along by a series of exercises that will involve different media, tools and techniques. There will be opportunities to treat the text literally and more abstractly. Some of the exercises will involve color, others black & white. You will come away from the workshop with lots of info on how to compose many variations of a text, tips on layout and design, and some great samples. Some calligraphy experience is helpful, but a willingness to experiment and try new approaches to art making is just as important. To see Mike’s work and learn more about him check out his Instagram (@goldie2452) and Website (https://www.mikegold-letterarts.com):
LEVEL: All (Some experience is helpful)
For more information and to register: https://www.colleaguesofcalligraphy.com/upcoming-programs-and-workshops/2022/over-and-over-mike-gold
PRICE: $95/$115* for Colleagues members; $125/$145* for non-members
*Included in this price is a 32-page full color booklet signed by instructor and mailed to you.
- At least six 11"x14" sheets of Arches Text Wove or comparable (PS01)
- At least two 11"x14" sheets cold press watercolor paper; I like Arches 140lb. (PS48)
- 80# Strathmore 400 Drawing Pad, 11"x14" (P100)
- Optional: Couple 11"x14" sheets of cover weight color or black paper. Artagain Black, 400 Series Strathmore Black Mixed Media, Canson Mi-Tientes are good. (P58, PS61)
- Black calligraphy ink, such as Higgins Eternal (or comparable) (I08); Sumi ink (I like Yasutomo (I24-2, I24-6) or Moon Palace (I70)); Quink (optional: I like Blue and Blue-Black)
- Walnut ink (S449, I53, I145)
- White calligraphy ink: I like Dr. Martin’s Bleed Proof White (I38) and Permanent White gouache (WNG1). Others that work fine: Moon Palace White Sumi, Winsor & Newton White Calligraphy Ink (I60).
- A few color inks: I recommend Dr. Martin’s Tech Drawing inks or Dr. Martin’s Bombay waterproof India inks. Any color inks, preferably with eye dropper top will also do, even if acrylic inks. (I109, I153, I13, I14)
- Color pencils (Prismacolor are best) and/or dry pastels (a few colors) – optional, but good to have (I will have some to share). (PL05)
- Some favorite gouaches. (WNG1) Click here for our selection of gouache.
- Stiff and flexible pointed pens (I like Nikko G) and other favorite pens (N113, N118) Click here for our selection of pointed nibs
- Ruling pen, cola pen, other unusual writing tools (optional, but recommended) (N22, N33, N148, N208, N211, N218)
- Speedball C2 through C5 nib pens; favorite small Mitchell or Brause nibs, or comparable (N09, N04, N02)
- Automatic pens (1/2" to 1") or comparable (Optional, but highly recommended) (N27) (N214)
- Favorite pointed brushes (for applying watercolor and gouache) and flat brushes (for wash and broad strokes) (BR26, BR69) Click here for our selection of brushes
- Watercolor set (watercolor pencils will also work) (S609)