For more information, click here.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Pointed Pen Variations
Mike Kecseg hosted by Edmonton Calligraphic Society
Zoom online with recordings available for later viewing until April 30, 2023
02/4/2023 - 02/11/2023
09:30 AM - 12:30 PM (Mountain)
Engrossers Script is a beautiful, flowing hand steeped in tradition. While very practical, there may be times when you will want to break with tradition and create letterforms that are more expressive and contemporary. In this class we'll take the same flexible pointed pen used for Engrosser's Script and use it to explore the potential for creating new and exciting letterforms. Through step by step instruction we'll start with an informal pen script and then move toward creating a "gothicized" script and an "uncialized" script. Along the way we'll develop a confidence with the pointed pen and discover the unique advantages of lettering with a flexible tool.
Both classes will be recorded and available to students until April 30, 2023.
All Skill Levels
Class Cost: $80 CDN
For more information or to register: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/pointed-pen-variations-with-mike-kecseg-february-4-11-2023-tickets-459884255187
• 4-5 pointed pen nibs of your choice (examples: Hunt #101, Gillott #303, Hiro #41, Nikko "G", Leonardt EF Principal or your favourite nibs) (N113, N77, N72, N82, N120)
• Oblique pen holder (H114, H119, H123, H133, H134)
• Straight pen holder (H111, H105, H113, H122, H129)
• Black ink of your choice (examples: Moon Palace sumi, Higgins Eternal, McCaffrey's or ink stick and grinding stone if you already use one.) (I70, I08, I37)
• Graph paper with 1/8" squares. Size of paper is unimportant but at least 8/12" X 11" (P22, P72, P55)
• Soft pencil (examples: 2B, 3B) (PL38)
• Straight edge (S270)
• Protractor or adjustable triangle (S632, S984, S924)
• Mixing tray or mixing cups (S120-30, S747)
• Mixing brush (BR43)
• A few paper towels
• Small water container or bottle (S1005)
• 1-2 sheets or half sheets of a quality art paper. Size of paper is unimportant but at least 8 1/2" X 11" (examples: Arches HP, Canson Mi Tientes, Diploma Parchment or your favorite art paper) (PA42, P111, PS61)
• Gouache or colored ink (white or Dr. PH Martin's Bleedproof White and any colors of your choice) (I38, WNG1, WNG2, WNG3, WNG4, SG27, I28, I37, I160)
• Drawing board and t-square (S753, S623)