For registration and details, click HERE.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Beyond Minuscola Romana
With Massimo Polello
Dates And Times
Thursday, March 24, 2022 at 6pm Italy-Rome Time Zone CET
Friday, March 25, 2022 at 6pm Italy-Rome Time Zone CET
Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 6pm Italy-Rome Time Zone CET
If you thought you had discovered everything about this marvelous style of writing from the Italian Renaissance, do I have a surprise for you!
Our journey starts in 1402 with the humanist, Poggio Bracciolini, as he created the Minuscola Romana, also called Littera Antiqua or Humanistic hand. We will take a quick look at the foundations and historical forms of this amazingly elegant style. Our study includes the original manuscripts of an exceptional master, Francesco Periccioli, and the up-to-date and modern styles he inspired.
We will focus on the quality of our lines, taking care to reach very thin strokes in order to fully admire the elegance of these letters. After becoming familiar with the shapes, appreciating their artistic and graphic qualities, we will play with them, having fun with patterns and compositions on pictorial backgrounds.
We will switch tools and move to the flat brush, exploring its possibilities on different materials including fabric. You can even improve that old shirt you no longer wear or make a nice gift for a friend.
Finally, we will toss legibility aside and joyfully deconstruct our work, arriving at the total abstract. We will create work with strong graphic and expressive impact that will once again give us the opportunity to marvel at our work!
This workshop is open to all levels and will be conducted in English. Spaces are limited.
The workshop includes:
- 6 hours of live online classes
- unlimited access to video recordings for the entire 3-part session, no expiration date
- time dedicated for student interaction, instructor feedback, show & share and Q&A
- complete handouts
- one month of free instructor support via email
- dedicated Facebook Page where students can share their work and where Massimo will offer review and limited critiques
- It is not necessary to work during the live demonstration, but of course, you are welcome to practice along with Massimo.
- It is not necessary to be present for the live sessions. After each day's lesson, students will receive the link to that day's recorded video. All recordings will be available to you with no time limit.
- Each lesson includes complete demonstrations and full instructions.
- 72 hours prior the day’s lesson, registered students will receive the Zoom link and any other important information.
For more information:
Suggested Materials List
- Basic supplies for drawing guidelines: pencils, eraser, ruler (PL38) (S86, E13) (S270)
- Personal usual and unusual tools for calligraphy: pens, different size from 1mm up to 5mm (any type: Brause (N02) , Speedball from C/4 to C/5 (N09), Mitchell (N04)), your favorite copperplate pointed pen (N71, N90, N77, N72), Automatic-pen size 5 or 4 (N27), cola pen, ruling pen (N22, N208)
- 3/4 or 1/2 size Windsor & Newton flat brush 995 series (BR01)
- Walnut ink (S449, S450, I53) or/and black ink (I70), waterproof and non-waterproof (or Quink for ex.) (I04)
- Color different types and that you want: gouaches (extra-fine quality) different color (yes,white) (WNG1) (WNG2) (WNG3) (WNG4); watercolors (WNWC1, WNWC21, WNWC3, WNWC4)
- Bister powder ink: one or two of your favorite colors (I157)
- Color for fabric, 1 or 2 colors
- 1 sketch pad, 9x12 inches (22.9 x 30.5 cm), 74-90gsm paper. Paper should have some tooth; not a super smooth paper (recommended/suggested in US/Canada: Canson XL Sketch, P108).
- 3 to 5 sheets good quality paper,maximum 180 gsm, around 19.5x27.5 inches/50x 70 cm. Recommended/suggested: Arches Text Wove (PS01, PS01-FS) OR Arches (or Artistico) cold-press watercolor paper (PS48), OR Canson Mi-Teintes (PS61), mixed light colors as you prefer OR similar papers you already own.
- 1 or 2 sheets of black or dark blue, 19.5x27.5 inches/50x 70 cm or more (PS61) (PS21-BLK) (PS22-BLK)
- Some personal short texts/quotes to be chosen carefully
- Old t-shirt, fabric clothes to write on