This class is part of Legacies III.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Please add item LEG2021 to your shopping cart for supply orders for Legacies III classes.
Beginner – Advanced
Lettering • Design
Flourishings are decorative and whimsical embellishments that add of wonder, movement, and life in the letters we write. With careful study and practice, flourishes become graceful extensions of words that invite readers to take a closer look.
In this class, we’ll unravel the fundamental concepts behind pointed pen flourishing and demystify complex swirls and curlicues by breaking them down into simple components and formulas. Then, we will learn how to reconstruct them into ornate flourishes that are sure to spice up your pointed pen script.
(My personal favorites in parentheses)
- Pointed Flexible Nibs of your choice (Hunt 101, Leonardt Principal EF, Zebra G) (N77) (N120) (N118)
- Oblique or straight penholder (ex: Garage Wood Working JP, Yoke Pen Company, and Chris Held) (H113) (H114) (H133)
- 9×12″ Marker/Layout Paper (Borden & Riley Boris Marker Layout #37, Canson XL Marker Marker) (P32)
- Black or brown ink (Fox and Quills Iron Gall, Norton’s Walnut ink, Kuretake Sumi Ink, etc.) (I145) (S449) (I160) (I70) (I116)
- 4-5 colored pens (Zebra Sarasa Clips, Staedtler Triplus Fineliner, Stabilo Fine 0.4, etc.)
- 5 or 0.7mm Mechanical pencil (Graphgear) (PL21)
- Eraser (Staedler Mars Plastic and Pentel HiPolymer) (E13)
- 12″ ruler (Westcott 12″ 8ths Beveled Transparent Ruler )
- Small container of clean water
- Clean cloth or paper towels