For more information, click here.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Introduction to Gothicized Italic
12/10/2022 - 12/11/2022 and 12/17/2022
09:00 AM Pacific
Live (Also recorded for later viewing)
This is a 2-day online class via Zoom with a follow-up Q&A session.
Class: Saturday and Sunday, December 10-11, 2022
9:00AM - 2:00PM (Pacific Standard Time) with 1 hour lunch break
Follow Up Q&A: Saturday, December 17, 2022
9:00 AM (Pacific Standard Time)
Class recordings will be available for viewing until February 28, 2023 at 11:59PM (Pacific Standard Time).
All Skill Levels
Gothicized Italic is a broad-edged calligraphy developed by Edward Johnston (1872-1944) in the mid-1920s and originally referred to this script as “Compressed Hand” and “Heavy Italic”. This script is based on a compressed and pointed parent oval form and can be written upright or with a slight slope. Johnston combines the advantageous elements of Blackletter styles. It is compact and narrow in form like Gothic Textura with a pointed parent 'o' like that of Batarde styles and energy of Gothic Cursives. The late Sheila Waters further developed this style into a more vigorous and lively script, making it an immediate favorite among scribes all over the world.
In this class, we will learn:
- Broad pen basics
- Characteristics that define Gothicized Italic as a Gothic script as well as what sets it apart from other Blackletter styles
- Stroke-by-stroke formation of Gothicized Italic minuscules
- Stroke-by-stroke formation of Fraktur majuscules
- Spacing and simple variations
Price: $130 USD
For more information or to register: https://gothicizeditalic2022.eventbrite.com
- 3.8mm Pilot Parallel Pen (FP67)
- Ink cartridge refills (FP70) (FP69)
- Paper (two options):
- You may print guide sheets directly onto your paper, or
- Print 1 copy of each guide sheet to slip under your choice of marker/layout paper (ex: Canson Marker Paper, Borden & Riley Marker Layout Paper, etc) (P32) (P09-50) (P2012). You'll need 2 paper clips to fasten the guide sheet to your marker paper.
- Double pencils (we will make in class):
- 2 sharpened pencils (PL38)
- 2.5 x 4"" scrap piece of paper
- 2-3 different colored pens for taking notes (M96) (M138) (M137)
- Mechanical pencil and eraser (PL21) (E13)
- 12"" ruler (S270)
- (Optional) suitable ink for dipping (ex: fountain pen ink of a different color from ink in the cartridge) (I2103) (I04) (S3000)
- Washi Tape (S1145)
- Clean water
- Paper Towels