To register, click here.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Pointed Pen Variations with Mike Kecseg
February 5 & 12, 2022 9:00 am - noon MST
Cost: $60 Cdn for LAG members & $75 Cdn for non-members
Virtual live class via Zoom. Class recording will be available if you are unable to attend live. Live participation is limited so register early.
In this class we’ll take the same flexible pointed pen we’ve been using for Engrossers Script and use it to explore the potential for creating new and exciting letterforms. Through step by step instruction we’ll start with an informal pen script and then move toward creating a “gothicized” script and an “uncialized” script. Along the way we’ll develop a confidence with the pointed pen and discover the unique advantages of lettering with a flexible tool.
All levels are welcome but some pointed pen experience would be helpful.
- 4-5 Pointed pen nibs (examples: Hunt #101 (N77) or Gillott #303 (N72) or Hiro #41 (N82) or Nikko “G” (N113) or Leonardt EF Principal (N120) or your favorite nib
- Oblique pen holder (H23)
- Straight pen holder (H62)
- Black ink - examples: Higgins Eternal (I08) or McCaffrey’s (I37) or Moon Palace Sumi (I70) or ink stick (IS28) and grinding stone (IS19) or your favorite ink
- Graph paper with 1/8” squares. Size of the paper is unimportant but at least 8 ½” X 11”. (P21)(P22)
- Soft Pencil (example: 2B or 3B) (PL38)
- Straight edge (S425)
- Protractor or adjustable triangle (S632)
- Mixing tray or mixing cups, “dinky dips” (S934)
- Mixing brush (BR43)
- A few paper towels (S817)
- Small water container or bottle (S1005)
- 1-2 sheets or half sheets of a quality art paper. Size of the paper is unimportant but at least 8 1/2” X 11” (examples: Arches HP or Canson Mi Tientes or Diploma Parchment or your favorite art paper) (PS00) (PS47) (PS61) (PA42)
- Gouache or colored ink ( white or Dr. PH Martin’s bleedproof white and any colors of your choice) (I38) (WNG1) (WNG2) (WNG3) (WNG4)
- Drawing board and T-Square (S690) (S753)