For more information, and to register, CLICK HERE.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
The Calligrapher’s Process
With Rick Paulus
Through The Edmonton Calligraphic Society
The class will be presented in 3 three hour Zoom sessions, Saturday October 8, 15 and 22, 2022 from 9:30 am - 12:30 pm Edmonton time (MDT)
"The Calligrapher's Process" is a comprehensive 3 week (9 hour) workshop designed to guide calligraphers through the process of creating a finished piece, from original concept to final completed work. Rick Paulus, former White House chief calligrapher, has over 30 years of experience in commercial and fine art calligraphy, and is eager to share his "tips of the trade" with us in this online workshop! Through a series of independent assignments, Rick will gently guide you through the process of taking your work from concept to completion, using easily accessible methods and processes. Guided exercises will introduce the use of watercolour, gouache, and a variety of papers. Cost is $125 CDN (plus Eventbrite fees); all three sessions will be recorded and accessible to students until December 31, 2022.
Contact Barbara Keir with questions at 780.483.5592 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Slant board/desk or any stiff board, measuring at least 18” x 20” (Masonite, gatorfoam, or plexiglass work well also)(S690)
- Pen holders and nibs: Minimum of three sizes of your favorite broad-edge dip pen, full set suggested (N02-S9, N02, N04-S10A, N04). Minimum of two pen holders (H62), best to have enough for full set of nibs (6-8 holders) Oblique holder (H23)& pointed nibs can be used if you like.
- Ink — Black ink. Your favorite (Sumi Moon Palace recommended) (I70)
- Gouache and/or Watercolor: Small tube(s) (Holbein (JNB HG800-5), Winsor & Newton, Schmincke, etc.…) You will be creating much of your work in color during this class, please use your judgement as to how many colors you need on hand. Minimum one color in addition to the black ink you will be using.(HG800-5, WNG1, WGN2, WNG3, WNG4, SG27)
- An old “retired” small brush for mixing colors (can be poor quality!)(BR43)
- Paper: Marker Layout paper (Canson Pro Layout or Borden and Riley #37 Layout Visual Bond (P32, P09-50, P09-100), etc........either 9X12, or 11X14). 1 sheet, Arches 90#, or Arches 140# hot or cold press, or other high-quality paper. Can be cut to 1/2 size for transport, or, if you know that you work small, it can be cut to 1/4 size.(PS42, PA42, PS47)
- Tracing Paper. (12” roll is preferred and most cost effective). Tracing paper pads ok.(P112)
- Pencil — .05, HB in a mechanical pencil. Other pencils acceptable providing you can keep them sharp.(PL21, PL38, PL13)
- Erasers — Clean plastic eraser or clean kneaded eraser.(E13, E09)
- Ruler — Metal will give you more accurate measuring and a good, straight, sharp edge. (S270)
- Tape — Artist tape, or removable scotch tape, 1/2” or 3/4” roll.(S1145, S412, S699)
- Xacto knife — #11 blade (The sharp, pointed blade) (S417, S130)