For more information, contact Cheryl Tefft: firstname.lastname@example.org
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Beginning Calligraphy I (Uncial)
Taught by Cheryl Tefft
June 7 through August 16, 2022
Link for info/registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/249182921827
If you are intrigued by beautiful letters and would love to be able to create them yourself, but you have little or no previous experience, this is absolutely the place to start! This class is the first in a series of four courses in calligraphy designed to take complete novices from terrified to terrific!
In this class you will learn the basic fundamentals essential to all current and future calligraphy studies, while learning to write in the uncial lettering style, which is one of the easiest styles of calligraphy to learn. We will cover all the basics, and you will even get to create your own fancy decorated letter! NO previous experience or good handwriting needed. Lefties welcome.
Cost: $169 (US$)
Class will be presented live, with recordings available to all enrolled students for an extended time afterward.
Tuesdays, June 7-August 16, 2022, from 6:30-8:30 pm Central Daylight Time (7:30-9:30 pm Eastern Daylight Time). (No class on June 21 or July 12.)
- 11"×17" grid pad, for practice, non-bleeding, 8 squares/inch, at least 50 sheets; John Neal grid pad recommended (P21)
- Pilot Parallel Pen, 3.8 mm size (green cap) (FP67)
- Ink cartridges for Parallel Pen (FP70 or FP69), at least 6 cartridges, assorted colors, or colors of your choice which will show up on white paper
- Pad of Marker Layout paper (P32) or Layout Bond paper (P09-50), 8½"x11" or larger, or similar non-bleeding translucent paper suitable for tracing
- 18" metal ruler with cork backing (S271)
- Protractor (S632)
- Envelopes (PA79, or other non-bleeding envelopes of your choice, at least 5)
- Painter's tape or artist’s tape (S412 or S931)
- Pigma Micron marker, black ink, size 01 (M17)
- Sample paper pack of high-quality calligraphy-friendly paper samples (PA101)
- One or two LARGE sheets of Arches Hot Press watercolor paper 90# (PS42) or 140# (PS47) (full sheets may be cut into quarters for shipping) OR similar smooth, non-bleeding watercolor paper of your choice
- Small round (pointed) brush suitable for watercolor, size 0 or smaller (size 000 suggested, if you only get one), such as Winsor & Newton Sceptre Gold 101 brush(es) (BR26 or BR26-S4)
- Non-metallic watercolor paint in at least one deeper shade (jewel tone) of blue, green, purple, OR red. You can either (A) get a basic set of non-metallic watercolors (any type) (S1032, -- 12A or 36 color set; or S994 or S1049 or S1050), OR (B) get one (or more) tube(s) of watercolor within the color options specified (GW100 or WNWC1 or WNWC2) plus a basic palette (S679 or S1094)
- Coliro (Finetec) watercolor paint (S1000);a pan of the Arabic Gold color is required, plus (optional) any other colors you want. I also recommend that if you aren’t buying a pre-selected set of Coliro colors, get a storage box to hold the paint pans you have selected (S999 or S1113 or S1016).
- Burnisher/Stylus set (S1038)
- White eraser of your choice; Pentel Clic suggested (E06) (E22)
- Pencil, preferably mechanical, lead size approximately 0.5 mm (PL21)
- Basic container for rinse water (S1005), or use a clean, empty low margarine tub or similar
- Favorite materials for taking notes
- Standard letter-size lined (or gridded) school notebook, or similar
- Paper towels (S817)
- Additional pen(s)/pencils(s)of your choice (suitable for drawing guidelines), possibly in different colors, such as Pigma Micron markers, about size 01 (M21 or M134), OR Pilot G-Tec-4 (M08-S5)
- (Highly recommended): Binder (3-ring or similar) for handouts
- (Highly recommended): Sheet protectors (for handouts, especially those you want to refer to frequently)
- Dedicated tote bag/briefcase (or similar) to keep all of your class supplies and papers together (note that your supplies will include an 11"×17" pad of paper, so your bag needs to accommodate that)
- Pilot Parallel Pen, 2.4 mm size (yellow-orange cap) (FP67)
- One or two additional LARGE sheets of smooth, non-bleeding watercolor paper for projects; it is okay to cut large sheets into quarters for shipping (in addition to the papers on the “required” part of the list, you may want more or a different kind of paper for your projects, such as a large sheet of one of the other types of paper from the sample pack)