Fundamentals of Calligraphy - June 25-30
Illumination: The Gift of Beauty - September 24-29
Illumination: Designing A Christmas Card - October 22-27
St. Edmund Retreat Center, Enders Island, Mystic, CT
Valerie's Standard list of Supplies:
- BR28 Kolinsky sable, watercolor, round. Size 0
- BR38 Winsor Newton Artists' Water Colour Sable brush. Kolinsky sable, watercolor, round. Size 0 or Size 1
- BR 37 Silverwhite Bright 1502. Short Handle. White Synthetic.
- S679 6 well Round Palette. This palette is made of hard white plastic. Contains six wells for mixing paint and gouache. Easily cleaned out and reusable.
- N72 Gillott 303
- N102 Gillott 1950
- N98 Hunt EF 513 (Inking In Lines).
- N02-S9 Brause Set of 9 Nibs
- N02 Brause Calligraphy Nibs. Sizes in millimeters (0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0)
Double Ended Stylus
- I70 Moon Palace Sumi Ink. 6oz
- I24 Yasutomo, 2oz or 6oz
- S478 Ball Burnisher / Embossing Tool.
- M17 Pigma Micron Marker size 01
- I56 Winsor/Newton GOLD Drawing Ink. 1oz glass bottle.
- I38Dr. Martins Bleedproof White.
- I118 Ganasi White from Boku Undo.
- PS42 Arches WC HP 90 LB 22x30.
- PS99 Strathmore Vellum Bristol 2 ply 22 x 30.
- S705 Plastic Eyedroppers. Pkt of 5.
- S140 Plastic Dropper Bottle: 30ml (1oz)
- S194 Agate Dogtooth Burnisher
- S142 Design Drawing Pencils. "6H" is hardest lead. "5B" is softest lead, Specify 6H, 5H, 4H, 3H, 2H, HB, 2B, 3B, 4B, 5B. An HB is used in this workshop.
Winsor Newton Gouache
- S892 Instacoll Yellow, 100ml.
- WNG660 Ultramarine. (Blue Deep)
- WNG564 Red Ochre
- WNG623Spectrum Red
- WNG046 Brilliant Green
- WNG482 Permanent Green Deep
- WNG512 Permanent White
BR28. W&N Series #7 Watercolor Brush
Series 7 fulfills the essential qualities that define the finest water color brush for artists: Point: The brush comes to a crisp point which is maintained during use. Snap & Spring: The brush snaps crisply back into shape with the right degree of spring to allow the artist superior control between the brush and painting surface. Flow Control : The color flows evenly and consistently from the point, with enough color carrying capacity in the belly of the brush to allow flowing gestural strokes. For artists who appreciate exquisite quality and longevity, there is no other brush than the Series 7. Today, just as in 1866, the Series 7 is made for those who understand that the quality of the brush will be reflected in the quality of their work.
BR38. WN Artists' Watercolor Sable
WN Artists' Watercolor Sable Round
Excellent for fine detail, lines and washes. The round-bellied watercolor brush is the most popular watercolor brush. Quality Kolinsky sable hair, birchwood handles and seamless nickel ferrules all put together by hand to create a truly excellent brush. Has been improved to ensure a perfect point. Matte finish handle.
Recommended by Valerie Weilmuenster for illuminated letters as a good and less expensive alternative to the Winsor & Newton Series 7.
**To see the price of each size, select the size in the box below**
BR37. Silverwhite Brush: Brights
Silverwhite Bright. Short handle.
A blend of soft white taklon filaments (synthetic) tapered to hold a sharp edge. Has a nice spring and decent color capacity. Short, polished, white-tipped silver handles and seamless nickel ferrules. Use for mixing, painting, brush lettering, or loading your pen. Suitable for water-based media including acrylics, watercolor, gouache, inks, dyes & tempera.
Bright, Size 1 2.5 mm
Bright, Size 2 3 mm
Bright, Size 4 4mm
Bright, Size 6 5 mm
Bright, Size 8 8 mm
Bright, Size 10 15mm
N102. Gillott 1950 Nib
Unlike most very small nibs, the end that fits in the holder is sized as large nibs. Satisfactory for Spencerian Script.
N02. Brause Calligraphy Nibs
Sizes in millimeters (0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0). Oblique-cut.
Brause calligraphy nibs are popular with both professionals and beginners. Stiffer nibs with reservoir on top. High quality nibs from Germany. Order these if you have a heavy hand and apply strong pressure when you write. These chisel edged dip nibs are great for Blackletter (Gothic/Old English), Italic, and other hands.
I70. Moon Palace Sumi Ink
Moon Palace Sumi
The Ink is now in a bottle with a Gold Label
While the packaging is a bit different , this is the highly sought after and highly recommended Japanese Sumi Ink. For both broad edge and pointed pen work. Dries waterproof. A great calligraphy ink.
"I like Moon Palace better, but both Moon Palace and Best Bottle are beautiful inks. The Moon Palace has a slight sheen to it, which I like. Michael suggested this ink to me so please tell him I said "thank you". I just finished a job of 200 invitations with Moon Palace and the ink is beautiful. I did not dilute the ink.
A client just brought me invitations (slick paper) to address. This bride knew going in to this that I probably couldn't do pointed pen. However, for fun, I tried the Sumi inks and to my surprise they worked pretty darn good. I usually have to use a sharpie on slick envelopes, yikes!!!"
--Clair F., Jan 2011.
Four sizes available:
2.0 oz (widemouth jar)
6.0 oz (180ml)
15 oz (450ml)
60 oz bulk bottle (1.8L) -- Great for teachers, or buy and share the cost with a friend or two or three!
I24-2. Yasutomo Sumi Ink: 2oz. Black Bottle
Matte black. non-waterproof. Comes in a tall rectangular black bottle. KY Series.