To register, please email: email@example.com
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Foundational Hand with Yukimi Annand
Hosted by the Carolina Lettering Arts Society (CLAS)
DATE: April 2 & 3, 2022
TIME: 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm and 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm EST
SKILL LEVEL: Open to all levels of experience
COST: Members $100, Non-Members $140
TO REGISTER: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check availability.
This workshop will consist of four 1.5 hour sessions, which will include:
1: Analysis of 10th century English Carolingian
Geometric skeleton form based on Edward Johnston’s Foundational hand
Letter spacing and word/text writing with the skeleton form
2: Weighted forms with a broad-edged pen
Text writing with proper spacing and in different nib sizes.
3: Design and layout basics for broadside calligraphy pieces
Mediums and materials for finalizing pieces
4: The variations of the hand
This course is for all levels. Yukimi requests participants have a basic calligraphy skill with broad-edged nibs and an understanding of calligraphic terms.
- Basic calligraphy supplies
- Black gouache: Yukimi recommends Winsor & Newton Designer Gouache Perylene Black (WNG3)
- Your favorite color of gouache and/or watercolor: Click here for JNB selection.
- Cheap bristle feeding and mixing brushes (BR43)
- Water container, pipette, 6-well palette and cleaning cloth (S1005) (S1039) (S679)
- Pencil (HB and 2H) (PL38) or mechanical pencil (0.3mm) (PL21)
- Eraser, 18" ruler and protractor (E13) (S271) (S632)
- T-square, rolling parallel ruler, or set of triangles (any size you have) (S753) (S730) (S464) (S613) (S924)
- Your favorite broad edge nibs (Yukimi recommends Brause nibs), several sizes with pen holders: Click here for JNB selection.
- 11" x 17" graph paper with blue lines (8 squares to the inch) (P21)
- 11" x 17" Strathmore Charcoal paper, drawing paper or Canson sketch paper for practice (P51) (P100) (P108)
- Layout paper (Borden & Riley #37 Boris Marker recommended) (P09-50) (P09-100)
- One full sheet of your choice of good watercolor paper, about 90 lb. (PS41) (PS42)
- Your choice of any colored paper (PS61)