For more information, click here.
John Neal Books is not hosting this class.
Marking Time: Introduction to a Daily Practice
With Sherrie Lovler
Saturday, September 10, 2022
11am–1pm Pacific Time
Presented live. The recording will be available for 2 months.
"Every morning, I pick up a brush and do some work, even just a little bit. Without it, I wouldn’t feel quite alive.” –Toko Shinoda, Japanese artist, 1913–2021
A daily practice is a great way to keep one’s artistic energy flowing. My practice has been to paint a page spread every day in a small book that I made. In this introductory class we will make a small book 4 inches tall and 3 inches wide with 31 page spreads. It will be bound using the Butterfly Binding, or what is also known as Japanese Binding with 4-Needles.
After we make the book, I will show how I go about painting in it. You can paint along, or watch, or do your own painting or drawing. The artwork that you do in your book will be your own creative treasure. I hope it stirs up something wonderful in you.
For more information and to register: https://www.artandpoetry.com/online
Enough paper to cut 16 pages 4x6" and 2 pages 4 x 9-1/16" *
(*These pages will be folded in half and the fold should be with the grain of the paper. To find the direction of the grain, the paper listing might say long grain [along the longer side of the paper] or short grain [along the shorter side of the paper]. The direction of the grain may also be underlined in the measurement. You can tell which way the grain is by trying to lightly fold the paper with your whole hand. The direction with the least resistance is the direction of the grain.)
- Text Wove : One sheet 40 x 25 (PS01-FS) or Two sheets of Hahnemuhle Ingres in Antique or Ivory White 18 x 24 (PS22-WHT) or Canson mix media pad or similar 98lb 11 x 14 or larger
- Bond Paper : One strip cut to 4 x 1 inches
- Two small pieces of watercolor paper cut to 3 5/16 x 2 15/16. (This paper will be inserted into the cover fold to make the cover thicker.) (PA47-57)
- 2 pieces of 20" waxed linen thread (bookbinding thread) (S825)
- 4 straight needles (can be blunt ended) (S213)
- Awl (S234) (S255)
- Bone Folder (S308)
- Small cutting mat (S504)
- Sharp pointed hard (2H or 4H) pencil (PL38)
- Xacto knife or breakable utility knife (S417)
- Ruler (S270)
- Metal straight edge or metal ruler to cut against
- Glue Stick (S391)
- Black sumi ink (I70) or Payne’s Gray FW acrylic ink (I13)
- Watercolor: Various colors — favorite colors. A nice variation of red, yellow and blue is Winsor & Newton Light Red or Venetian Red, New Gamboges Yellow and Indigo. (WNWC1)
- A variety of pens, balsa wood, folded pens, calligraphy tools you have around.
- Pointed brush: Round Watercolor Brush (BR30) (BR26) or use what you have.
- Mixing brush (BR43)
- Palette for paint (S679)
- 2 or 3 containers for water (S1005) (S1151)
- An 8 x 10" piece of smooth heavy paper or mat board. I use backing board. This is to put behind your book page as you paint it. Size can vary.