SG27. Schmincke Calligraphy Gouache.
Comes in a selection 12 colors that were chosen and developed for use in calligraphy and illumination (English scribe Patricia Lovett was involved in the process). The colors are brilliant, and almost all are opaque. The pigments are especially finely ground so they flow smoothly through the pen. To use, dilute gouache with water to a consistency of thin, runny cream, which is suitable for both calligraphy and illumination.
The metallic Gold Pearl is highly recommended by Michael Sull for its brightness, smooth flow, and lightfastness. Because mica instead of metal particles is used, the metallics will not darken over time, and because the mica can be more finely ground, it flows through a pen much better than old-fashion inks with actual metal particles. Also recommended by Katrina Berry and others. Schmincke Gold Pearl is our best-selling gold gouache. 20 ml tubes.
When using a fresh tube, squeeze out the clear stuff (glycerin) until you get dense pigment. This glycerin helps keep the gouache from drying in the tube but will keep your work from drying as well. This gouache reconstitutes easily and quickly if it has dried in your pen or on your palette.
Set includes: Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow Hue Light, Chromium Oxide Green, Gold Pearl, Jet Black, Lemon Yellow, Madder Red, Opaque White, Paris Blue, Ultramarine Deep Blue, Silver, Vermilion Red.
- Adding water to gouache with a dropper allows better control than using a brush
- Gouache mixed too thick won't flow through the pen (add water).
- Gouache mixed too thin won't cover pencil guidelines (add gouache).
- Reconstitutes easily if it has dried in the pan (or pen)
- 6 of the colors in the boxed set are a double-primary selection for successful color mixing.
- A flyer is included in the set explaining double-primary color mixing.
- When color mixing, add a bit at a time of the darker color to the lighter one.
- Make sure that the color is thoroughly mixed before using.
- Mix Jet Black into Opaque White for various shades of gray.
- Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine will also make a gray.
- Almost all colors cover well, so pencil guidelines won't show through
- All pigments are especially finely ground so they flow through the pen easily.
- Non-waterproof (gum Arabic binder); cleans easily from your pen with water
I love these for my calligraphy