John Neal Books
Ink Cage Reservoir + Nib
N204. Ink Cage Nib. The revolutionary Ink Cage is a reservoir for pointed pen nibs. It allows you to write or flourish much longer before re-dipping. The Ink Cage is sold permanently attached to the n…Read More
N204. Ink Cage Nib.
The revolutionary Ink Cage is a reservoir for pointed pen nibs. It allows you to write or flourish much longer before re-dipping. The Ink Cage is sold permanently attached to the nib of your choice. It is not removable or reusable.
- Use Ink Cage Nibs with fountain pen inks, calligraphy inks, sumi and India inks without shellac (check label on bottle or online sources), and thinned gouache or watercolor.
- Some inks may need to be thinned to work properly. Distilled water is recommended for this.
- Insert Ink Cage Nibs into penholders by grasping the sides of the nib to prevent damage to the Ink Cage.
- With Ink Cage Nibs you will write a great deal longer: 1-1/2 or twice as long as the nib without the Ink Cage, or perhaps longer.
- Provides more consistent flow, similar to working with a fountain pen
- For best performance with Sumi and waterproof inks, rinse in water occasionally while writing. How often depends on ink buildup.
- For water-based inks (non-waterproof), clean the nib by dipping it several times in a small jar of water.
- For cleaning heavier pigmented inks, add a small amount of pen cleaner (90% water/10% cleaner). Add Higgins, Speedball or Ziller Pen Cleaners to the water.
- Then, to dry, pat on a folded piece of paper towel, rolling the nib back and forth on both sides, being careful on the cage side.
- Some people use a small hair dryer to finish drying their nibs.
- You do not have to take the nib out of the holder to clean it.
- A little ink residue or staining in the cage area will not affect the nib's performance.
- Do not soak nibs in pure cleaning solution or use hot water to clean.
- Ultrasonic cleaners are not recommended for the Ink Cage Nibs.
I love to use this nib with finetec arabic gold and other colors. Please notify me when you have more of them. Merry Christmas!
These cage nibs are great!!!
Blue Pumpkin with reservoir
This nib is great !
These nibs are great!!!
These nibs are truly amazing! I'm going to need one of each! Great product! Also shipping was very quick!
I was surprised with how much more ink the nib held! You really should try one!
I was surprised with how much more ink the nib (Brause 66EF) held! This should be in every calligraphers toolbox!
Ink Cage Reservoir
The ink cage is a little spring that is attached the underside of the nib. The spring collects and holds more ink than the nib would normally carry. It is certainly surprising how much more it holds than a plain nib without the ink cage. I got the Brause 66EF and am going to order some of the others. With the ink cage nib you can letter a whole sheet with just one dip! For me it is worth the extra cost.
Though I love the regular Blue Pumpkin nib, I never use it because I can only write about one to two words with fountain pen ink ; the Brause EF66, with its small size, holds the ink so much better. I only just came across these nibs a week ago and had to try it out. With an ink cage, I was able to write a half a page with the Blue Pumpkin and fountain pen ink - would have been more except I got called away. I love this nib! The insert that comes with the nib warns that with normal ink, you should clean the nib out frequently and I expect that's true, but with fountain pen ink, it cleans out completely with just water.